So it’s time to move. Instead of reaching for the panic button, form a plan of attack. The following tips can help:
1. Call the mover. If planning to use a moving company, call for estimates about six weeks in advance. This will give you time to review transportation costs and insurance plans and help ensure movers will be available.
2. Get rid of the junk. Why spend time, energy and money moving items that you’ll only throw away once you move in to your new home? Hold a garage sale to get rid of unwanted items or donate them to charity before you start packing.
3. Contact service providers. Alert gas, electric and water utility providers of your upcoming move so that you’ll have service upon arriving in your new home. Also make sure bills and any publications you receive will be forwarded to your new address.
4. Pack deliberately. Pack items of similar nature or from the same room in the same box—this will make unpacking much easier. Clearly label the contents of each box and indicate the room to which the box should be delivered.
5. Protect your goods. Keep dirt, dust and scratches off your furniture by covering it with old fitted sheets. Individually wrap breakables in paper before placing them in a box. Newspaper will work fine, although it can leave a film on your dishes that you’ll need to wash off, so you may want to consider purchasing white packing paper. Be sure to line your box and stuff open pockets with plenty of crumpled paper, towels or other linens. If you can hear a “clinking” noise as you pack or move items, you’ll need to add more padding.
6. Separate essentials. Prepare a “carry-on” box or bag containing items you’ll need access to during the trip or upon arrival. This may include toiletries, disposable plates and utensils, important papers, cell phone chargers, and so forth.
Remember: By planning ahead, staying organized and finding a way for the whole family to get involved, you can avoid some of the frustration and anxiety that often comes with such events and focus instead on the excitement of moving into your new home!