Right now the evenings are still getting cool in Central Texas, yards are green and newly-planted flowers are blooming. If you are looking to sell a home in Austin, curb appeal is happening pretty naturally. Come June, however, lawns won’t be looking quite so fresh without some careful pruning and planning. The most important thing to remember when looking to spruce up that first-impression is to make whatever you do intentional. Whether that means intentionally paying a professional to landscape your front yard, or intentionally filling those empty flower beds with fresh mulch, being purposeful looks a lot more polished than attempting something grand and leaving it half-finished.
One of the easiest ways to maintain a clean look for your home throughout the drought is by implementing some xeriscape elements. Texas A&M explains xeriscape as a landscaping style that saves water and protects the environment. As a bonus: It also requires minimal maintenance. Xeriscaping incorporates seven basic principles:
- Planning and design
- Soil analysis
- Practical turf areas
- Appropriate plant selection
- Efficient irrigation
- Use of mulches
- Appropriate maintenance
Even if you don’t have a green thumb, there are other ways to add curb appeal to your property. Pay attention to these hot spots as you are staging your home’s façade.
- The front porch: Ensure the area outside your front door is well-lit and swept clean. Replace burned-out bulbs and outdated fixtures with pieces that match your home’s era and aesthetic.
- The front door: Sand and paint your front door in an afternoon and see how it immediately adds to your home’s appeal.
- House numbers: Replace house numbers with fresh ones that are easily seen from the street.
- The garage door: Clean the outside of the garage door. This is an often overlooked element that can make a house look old and dirty.
- The driveway: Pull those stubborn weeds in and around the driveway.
Choose the projects that suit your time, skill-set and the style of your home and you’ll be amazed at what a difference some attention given to your home’s exterior can make. Talk with your Central Texas REALTOR® about ways to increase the curb appeal of your home for sale.